Thursday, April 18, 2013

Red Cross Fundraiser Update




Hello Everyone,

We wanted to take another moment to thank those who have participated in our fundraiser for the Red Cross organization.  As I'm typing this post I can report that we have raised $565.00 in just two days!

If you haven't yet donated to our fundraiser, please consider doing so. Every dollar added to the effort makes a difference. 

If you donate a minimum of $5.00 to either the American Red Cross, your local chapter of the Red Cross or to The One Fund Boston, simply email a copy of your receipt to me at jenn@argyleempire.com. Then enter the giveaway posted at the top of our homepage.
SR has graciously agreed to sign UK edition copies of both "Gabriel's Inferno" and "Gabriel's Rapture" for the winner.



 
If you have donated, please share news of this fundraiser with others and encourage their participation. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me or post them in the comments section below.

Last evening, I received a lovely, personal testimonial from Margie (moderator of the Professor Gabriel O. Emerson Fan Page) informing me about her family's experience volunteering with the Red Cross. I was so moved by her story that I asked if I could share it on the blog. She agreed and what follows are her own words. Please take a moment to read them and reflect on the service her family has made to assist those in need.

On behalf of Elli, Sere and Coco I send our heartfelt thanks.

Take Care,
Jenn

~~~~~~~~~~~~



I am the daughter of a Red Cross volunteer.  

I grew up in the Red Cross.

My father was the chairman of our local Red Cross chapter for many, many years. As kids he would take us to local disasters to help. I remember going into colonias after storms (colonias are communities, where thousands of people live without running water, sanitation, or electricity). We would help by passing out food, water and clothes to the people. Many of the families lost their homes which were shacks and had no way of withstanding the winds of the storm. These areas were hit hard after heavy rains, storms and hurricanes in my area.

I remeber thinking how lucky I was to have a home. I remember the earthquake that hit Mexico City in 1985 and my dad having to leave town to attend that disaster. I think it was then when I realized just how important the Red Cross was and how proud I was of my father. I can still see my dad in his Blue Red Cross jumper with the big Red Cross patch on the back. I was very proud of him. 

He was a Social Worker and a volunteer for many organizations. He taught us how important it is to help those less fortunate and to give back to our community. I volunteer, just like my daddy and give a lot of my time to Literacy organizations. But the Red Cross will always hold a special place in my heart. That big Red Cross symbol gives me hope, reminds me of the resilience of people, and makes me think of my father and all the wonderful people just like him who give from the bottom of their hearts and expect nothing in return.

Thank you for this.  
Margie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2012 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger